Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Marking Time

The only progress on the V-bed has been to buy a bottle of white spirit to clean it. It is presently mounted on the B&D workbench, (thanks David R!) but one of the horizontal pieces of the work bench is preventing the arm from turning fully. I will have to do some careful measuring to see if I can a) pull the worktop in the utility room froward a bit and (b) if the opening area of the clamps is enough to go over this. In other news ... the museum has been offered a stand at Nottingham Yarn Expo on Sunday 11th November. I am going to see if I can find some information about socks and WWI suitable to put on a display board. Also working like mad to produce minimum of 20 pairs handwarmers and 20 pairs socks for the stand. As I will be going by bus, have to see if it will all fit in a case to wheel up (bearing in mind all uphill from the bus stop! Christmas present making going well, two out of main three totally completed.

Thursday, 13 September 2018

Still haven't a clue

Lots of other things have got in the way of sorting the V-bed. For a start, all the needles are seized and WD40 isn't helping. Watch this space (there may be a lot of space)

Wednesday, 29 August 2018

Excitement!

Today I took delivery of an antique Harrison Vbed machine to play with before selling it on to help museum funds. Not a clue how it works!

Sunday, 12 August 2018

August Auguries

After a very hot and dry July, at last, enough overnight rain to wet the ground. I can now start to think about putting autumn plants in without using a pickaxe. August is when I traditionally start to think about knitting for Crimble - if I don't start now, they don't get finished. Thanks to flicking quickly through a modular knitting book, my eye fixed on two images and fused them into one. So I am covering coat hangers with mitered diamonds. Each one takes seven - could just use normal size, but better to go down to a 39 st start, all knit including edge stitches,, sl1,k2tog over central 3 sts every other row. Got some black satin hangers for a very reasonable price, none of black should show through on these, although they could look dramatic covered with white lace. Will finish off with tiny two-diamond lavender bag. Also thought I would have a go once more at the "Heathered" lace gloves from the Fair Isle Gloves & Mittens book by Carol Noble, but in same sock yarn as hangers rather than different shades of Shetland. Cuffs and fingers on the Knitmaster, lace pattern knitted flat by hand Took a bit of jiggling about until I remembered I had to split the central 3 st decrease spine. On machine, 1x1 rib is over 61 sts. These need to be increased to 69 to fit pattern in, plus a seam. Resultant glove looks long and thin. Colours worked out really well on first glove, but second one had three knots in a relatively short space so is a mess colourwise and of course does not match above cuff. Hey ho.

Monday, 9 July 2018

Gloves galore

When making things on the CSM, I have always numbered the handwarmers and socks. As the gloves from leftovers are made on the Knitmaster, I haven't bothered, but thought I would now start to do so. I trawled through my Delivery Note book and since June 2013 I have sent no fewer than 85 pairs over to the museum! There weren't all sock yarn, some were Shetland with Fair Isle motifs, but even so, that is an average of one and a half pairs per month, which has quite surprised me. July and August 2016 seemed to have a run on them - not a cold summer, so a mystery, but perhaps it was the "group" effect (when one person in a group visit buys something, there is nearly always another one or two who buy the same item...). Despite the current heatwave, I have been labouring away on the machine while I can. Here is the latest batch.

Tuesday, 26 June 2018

Granny cake and mobcap

As a change from gardening, and as it is 28 degrees is is far too hot anyway, tried out an old Victorian recipe from Ruddington Framework Knitters Museum for Granny cake "crusty exterior, lovely soft centre". Thoughts meandered to the proposed Tea Party end of August and on the spur of the moment found material to make a mobcap. Made Philadelphia Sticky Buns for the 4th July, when I was on shop duty and we put the Stars and Stripes out, just as Hannah Parker did, from 1870 up to 1933 we think. Recipe only differs from Chelsea buns in that my school recipe was raisins, Hannah's used currants - but on this occasion I used sultanas! I am next on shop duty end of July, for which I am planning Brownies. I thought this was a recent American invention but Hannah was born in 1849, married in 1866 over there, and I presume that is when and where she got the recipe. The Internet states the first written use of the word "brownie" is the 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cook Book - must find out if Hannah dated her recipes!

Sunday, 24 June 2018

More garden photos

Peonies and Apothecaries rose (rosa mundi) in my own garden, plus, if it works, a video of the Knitted Garden day at Ruddington Framework Knittters Museum.