Saturday 23 October 2010

Grant's Kilthose



Got the kilthose finished at last. How many months have I been struggling? Basis was Cat Bordhi's Personal Footprints, working from the toe up. DId a bit on one, then a bit on the other, so they grew together.

They were a bit tight round Grant's ankles getting them on. The extra length was no problem for this tall chappie, but I had to put quite a lot of extra stitches in for his 17 inch calves (mine are 14 inches). Only just found out he swims 50 lengths every monring before going to work, which explains a lot! I took the calf shaping in a bit before starting the hidden rib.


Then I spent a couple of days deciding on the cable pattern for the turnovers. I ended up with woven lattice. I knew that most cables needed an extra 10% of stiches, but a sample showed it drew in rather a lot, so I added about 20% and forged ahead. I finished with four rows of rib and tow rows of tubular rib to do a Kitchener bind-off - quite pleased with this. But when I tried the first one on my own leg, the lattice was horribly tight. I am now waiting with heart in mouth for Grant to come round and try them on, with not much hope of them being right.

They definitely look better on a leg than off, as they don't want to lie flat on a sock blocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment