Saturday 17 December 2011

An Angelic Christmas



Apart from my honorary twin grand-daughter appearing in her first Christmas concert as an angel, they seem to be all around me this year.

Norah's angel, a crochet one whose pattern and charming Victorian origins I learnt some years ago -- I made loads and loads of these, two hours work each in all colours of the rainbow for a couple of Craft Fairs - and not a single one sold (nor any coat hangers!) -everyone wanted sheepy handwarmers, and I actually sold out of those. So lots got given away as extra presents.

Then I came across Annemor Sundbo's angel tucked away in her book on Invisible Threads in Knitting. I'm sure it wasn't in the last time I read it! She makes a tiled square with short-row knitting, but I think I prefer my double decrease diamonds, especially as I didn't line up the silver rows very well. Ans using variegated yarn wasn't a particularly good idea. I also put an extra line of holes in the wings, just before casting off, to give a more lacy appearance. I had some Wensleydale yarn knitted up, left for a long time, then unwound which proved curly enough for craxy hair. She does have a wonderful tip in the double knitted head - to knit the stitch and slip the next one all in one. This is actually achieved when doing the last movement in a knitted stitch, catching the tip of the needle in the next one on the left hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment