Sunday 7 June 2009

UK Ravelry Day


Got sent to Coventry yesterday, as roving ambassador for Ruddington Framework Knitters' Museum, along with Sockrates Snail. Didn't buy an awful lot, but had a whale of a time, AND we had our photo taken with Meg Swansen (to follow). Items bought were rubbery stuff to turn socks into slippers, a couple of skeins of sock yarn for dyeing - one Blue Faced Leicester, one Wenselydale, and some silk and banana fibres to spin. Plus some Skacel Zauberball yarn that promises to only have one repeat per sock. Saw dozens of people I knew, and Sockrates made lots of new friends.

Since coming home I have run the Zauberball through the sock machine, just as a tube. No way can I make two even-slightly matching socks from this! Plus there are two yarn knots that make the colour change abruptly. It'll be great in a scarf though.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy the Zauberball, I have some I'm making into a scarf. I wish I could have been there yesterday it sounds as if you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yvonne - however did you find me? I think you are my first visitor. I have been keeping this blog pretty quiet until I can fill it on a regular basis!
    I have run the Zauberball through the sock machine, just as a tube on the 84 sts, to see how many repeats there are and where they come. There is no way I can make two identical socks with it! I got the white/fawn/brown/black so it is a large contrast. Plus, there are (at least)two knots which make for sudden colour breaks, so I am a tad disappointed. I'll probably take it to KCG AGM as a discussion point. But thank heaven for machines - it only took about ten minutes to run it through - just think of the hours of handknitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've knitted my way through one ball of Bramble and found no knots as yet - now all I need to do is find where I put the 2nd ball so I can finish the clapotis.

    ReplyDelete