Sunday 4 June 2017

In tune with June

Hols went well, but there were so many flies we demolished the fly swatter and had to buy another! Made the Estonian hat inside the first week. Far too big for Erika of course, but a tad too small for me and only know if I would have the courage to wear it. Went mad on the string bag front - Using base of a Tote bag pattern as it was pretty, and less solid looking, than the original "Aunt Lydia". No, I haven't got an aunt called Lydia, I think the original was using the cotton of that name. Margaret had given me two small squarish cones of red cotton, so I'm well away. It is better if both bases made first and joined. Base is 15 sts, every other round is loops of 3ch. Sts eventually increased to 120 with no spaces between, for 40 loops for sides (1 dc miss 2 ch method). Started with loops of 4ch,for two rounds, inc to 7ch on this thickish yarn. Don't think I need to go up to 9ch. UP to about 12 inches, then 4dc in every loop for four rounds, handles over a quarter, using dc foundation chain, then another round, putting trebles over handles, dc over sides.
Also made one glove in red on two needles with a two row pattern repeat. Stopped there, as needed to weigh the ball of yarn to see if I had enough for second glove (I have). The finger seams do not lie quite where I would have expected though. Cast on for a similar four needle version (in grey) which has a three row pattern. Have now ordered shorter glove needles from Woolstack, as 15cm or 20cm long ones are a blasted nuisance at finger level. Back home, after tackling the jungle that is the garden --- Amazed to see how big that one weld plant had grown, especially after unloading all my dried weld on Lesley at the Vendredi Club! Cut side shoots for drying, leaving main stem for now. Continuing Jane Austen dress top for Erika - far, far too small, will pass this to Emily I think. Investigated new fabric shop in Breedon next door to wool shop (oh, so handy!)and got just over a metre of owl fabric (roll end) so may split into two and do one for Jessica for upcoming giant family hols in Poplperro.

No comments:

Post a Comment