Saturday 25 July 2020

Fifty Years Ago

This weekend should have seen a Grand Reunion in Swansea.  It is 50 years since I graduated, and 100 years since the founding of the University (a university college in the university of Wales back then).  Due to Covid-19, it has, of course, been cancelled, and I am so disappointed.  The chappie who got in touch with me through the magic of Facebook I knew through the student newspaper, 1967/8 - I was the editor, he was  more on the publishing and press side, and a master of puns.  You could never, ever, outdo him.  During my time at the newspaper the printers changed from lino-type to web offset, which was a wonderful education - no more galley proofs with a couple of extra lines lying in the  bottom margin!  No more counting of words down to the last one, and measuring stuff with a "points" ruler to see if a headline would fit.

I don't think I was knitting much in those days.  I can remember making curtains for a new flat and other items for a home, I expect knitting was in there somewhere if I wanted something to wear.  Oh, and our parties - cooking up absolutely tons of pasta and different sauces, then wondering where to put the expanding stuff!

Swansea weather was wet - we always felt damp, and couldn't get washing dry outside.  But I would so like to have visited again.


No comments:

Post a Comment