Sunday 9 August 2020

Sunday Night is Violet Cream Night

 While living in Swansea, or more exactly, Oystermouth, we had a sweet shop across the road.  It sold boxes of Rowntree's Miniatures, half size chocolates.  My favourite was the violet cream, and they have stayed my favourite ever since, although miniatures have long ceased to exist.  When younger son went to live in London, we bought violet creams from Fortnum & Mason.  In the main store in Piccadilly, you can buy them loose.  They have a branch in St Pancras, always so tempting for the journey home.  However, there you only get the box of mixed rose and violet creams.  The boxes themselves are exquisite inside the top lid, and I have saved several sizes to use as mini-haberdashery trays. At approx £1 per chocolate, I ration myself to two at a time!  It's usually after Sunday dinner, in front of re-runs of Downton Abbey.  We subsequently found the firm of Audrey's makes them for F&M, and they can be bought online (no cheaper though).  Aldi do some boxes around Christmas, made by Beech's of Preston, which aren't a bad substitute, and don't break the bank.  A close runner up at the exotic end are Charbonnel et Walker, the Queen's mum favourite, evidently.  I like the circular boxes and the way the creams are not mixed up, but each sit in two quartered sections.


Absolutely nothing to k do with a knitting, blog, I know, so here is my latest piece of work, a mini-Rudolph from a Medecins sans frontieres pattern.  I'm getting ready for Christmas early!

No comments:

Post a Comment