Saturday 14 March 2009

A Vegetarian Platter of Dyeing


I was leading a workshop with my WSD pals. 16 took part in the workshop, another 4 sat out spinning (what a relief - it could so easily have been the other way round!). First I showed them the raw platter - red cabbage, red onions, beetroot - all dull maroon coloured, but not what the dyes would come out.


I wasn’t at all sure about the water at that Village Hall, and of course nobody else was using Wensleydale fleece which is my favourite. The day could have been chaotic with three microwaves, five gas burners and two electric burners going, but it worked amazingly well, and everybody produced results far, far beyond my expectations. I hope this comes out in the photos. They all got very excited, and Helen suggested that we have a “dessert” course next year - dyeing with fruits such as blackberries. It was probably one of the best days we have had (she said, modestly).

No comments:

Post a Comment